Saturday, May 9, 2015

MLP FIM Comic #23 Variant Cover

Yesterday (May 8, 2015), I visited a Hot Topic store at a mall and upon noticing a box of comics there, I recalled that there was a Maud cover for an issue of the IDW My Little Pony Friendship is Magic comic series. I wasn't really sure if the issue would still be in stores or if it was even out yet for that matter, but after taking a look, I was happy to actually find a few copies. Apparently, as I've now read, this came out September 2014, so I'm lucky to have found it this late. Anyways, I compared conditions and picked the best, and though the cover price says $5.50, it was on clearance, and I also took advantage of their buy one get one 50% off sale, so I got it for $3.23.


The cover shows a nice piece of artwork by Amy Mebberson, one of my favorite My Little Pony comic artists. Amy does a great job at combining a silly, fun, hard-to-take-your-eyes-off art style and a structured, non-sloppy one, the result of which doesn't stray far from the show's style, but also doesn't just look like a poor attempt at imitating it, either. And unlike other My Little Pony comic artists, I don't feel like she takes too many liberties on her style or approach that would start causing it to not have a My Little Pony feel anymore.

Inside is a story that stars the ponies' pets, and though Boulder is Maud's pet, that's where the logic ends, as neither make an appearance within the issue. The reason for this is because this is a variant cover. Modern comics have a nasty habit of making these alternate covers -- and lots of them -- with some even being exclusives, as this one is to Hot Topic. This act, as far as I know, is just to get people like me will buy them. The whole scheme leaves a bad taste in my mouth and gives me somethings to dislike with IDW's otherwise good work. In fact, later the same day I went to a book store and bought a previously owned copy of a My Little Pony comic that I didn't yet have, but when I got home and compared things, I found out that I did already own it... it was the pet issue sans Maud cover. How annoying. But you know what's even worse? Analyzing the cover prices. The Maud one is, as I said, $5.50, but the other one I got (cover B) is only $3.99. So they release alternate covers that trick or force you into buying duplicates and they even raise the prices... that's just mean, IDW.

I like seeing Maud around, but not in such a slapped together approach. If Maud's gonna be on a comic cover, she should be in the comic, not just there to falsely advertise on an alternate cover for a higher price.

No comments:

Post a Comment